Powder Keg Snowshoe & Fat-Bike Races
SNOWSHOERS: The Powder Keg Snowshoe Race will be a part of the U.S. National Snowshoe Championships event weekend from 2/27 to 3/1 of 2015. CORBA is organizing the event, which will be held at the Eau Claire Expo Center and Lowes Creek County Park. For full information or to register, visit the event web site at www.snowshoenationals.com.
FAT-BIKERS: The Powder Keg Fat-Bike Race will be part of the Northwest Wisconsin Winter Fest and Games at Lake Altoona. Read below for full details.
CORBA WINTER BIKE RACES
@ the Northwest Wisconsin Winter Fest & Games
Sunday, January 25, 2015
Lake Altoona County Park
11:00 AM: FEATURE RACE for FAT-BIKES
- Part of the Wisconsin Fat-Bike Race Series
- 90-minute lap race, laps approx 2 miles long
- Race will consist of several checkpoints in which participants will be asked to perform a feat of skill or intelligence. For example: Bike handling challenge such as riding a skills course, feats of strength, maneuvering through obstacles.
- Winner will be whoever completes the most number of laps in the least amount of time. Race will be 90 minutes. Riders will be allowed to finish the lap they are on after the 90 minute time period has expired and it will be counted.
- Fat-tire bikes only (3.7” tires or wider)
- Categories: Solo Male, Solo Female, 2-Person Male, 2-Person Female, 2-Person Mixed.
- Cost is $25 (includes event t-shirt)
- Awards will be presented at 12:45 pm.
- REGISTER HERE
1:00 PM: OPEN CLASS RACE
- 45-minute lap race, using some or all of the same lap and checkpoints as the feature race.
- Open to any type of bike (skinny, cross, mountain, fat, frankenbike, etc.)
- Categories: Solo Male, Solo Female
- Awards will be given for creativity, interesting/decorated bike, sportsmanship, etc.
- Cost is $20 (includes commemorative t-shirt)
- Awards will be presented at 2:00 pm.
- REGISTER HERE
Following the races, we’ll have some FREE and fun bike challenges, in which riders can compete for top honors in events like LOG PULLING, TIMED OBSTACLE COURSES, FAT-BIKE VS. SKI SPRINT RACES, FAT-BIKE SKIJORING. This is a low-key event focused on fun and chilling with bike-minded folks. This is not a WORS-style race. Please show up with that in mind. Proceeds from the event will go toward developing and maintaining local mountain bike trails.
The CORBA Winter Bike Races will be part of the weekend-long Northwest Wisconsin Winter Fest & Games. Riders are encouraged to bring family and friends, come early, and stay late to check out the other events going on at the fest, including auto ice racing, ATV/motorcycle racing, softball, broomball, ice fishing, music and more. Visit www.winterfestandgames.com for festival details.
All events are subject to change, dependent on snow, ice and weather conditions. Contact the race director at email@example.com if you have questions.
How to get to Lake Altoona County Park: click for directions
2014 RACE RESULTS:
2014 Powder Keg 5-MILE Female Snowshoe Results
2014 Powder Keg 5-MILE Male Snowshoe Results
2014 Powder Keg 5-MILE OVERALL Snowshoe Results
2014 Powder Keg 2-MILE Female Snowshoe Results
2014 Powder Keg 2-MILE Male Snowshoe Results
2014 Powder Keg 2-MILE OVERALL Snowshoe Results
2014 Powder Keg Fat-Bike Results
2014 PHOTO GALLERIES & VIDEO:
Photos by SkyMotion Media
Video by SkyMotion Media
Snowshoe race photos on CORBA’s Facebook Page
Fat-Bike race photos on CORBA’s Facebook Page
Snowshoe race photos via the Leader Telegram
Fat-Bike race photos by Amy Marsh
PREVIOUS YEARS’ RESULTS:
2013 Powder Keg 5-Mile Snowshoe Age Category Results
2013 Powder Keg 5-Mile Snowshoe Overall Results
2013 Powder Keg 2-Mile Snowshoe Age Category Results
2013 Powder Keg 2-Mile Snowshoe Overall Results
2013 Powder Keg Fat-Bike Results
2012 Powder Keg Snowshoe 2-mile overall results
2012 Powder Keg Snowshoe 5-mile overall results
2012 Powder Keg Snow Bike race results*
2011 Powder Keg Snowshoe 5-mile results
PREVIOUS YEARS’ PHOTOS: Here are a few collections of photos taken by volunteers and spectators:
Powder Keg Photos by Samplawski Photography (prints available for purchase at linked site)
Snowshoe Race by Leza Raymond
In and Around the Expo by Leza Raymond
Fat-Bike Race Start by Amy Marsh
Fat-Bike First Lap by Amy Marsh
Fat-Bike Team Handoffs and Laps by Amy Marsh
Snowshoe and Fat-Bike Races by John Froelich
Snowshoe Race via Leader Telegram